What Is This?
This is where you can find a list of most of the changes I've made to the website! These changes are based on feedback I get from people and what I feel needs to be done better or simply isn't working. Hopefully everyone sees these as improvements!
Last Update Tuesday, May 29th, 2012
Tuesday, May 29th, 2012
- Redesigned Submission Roll - Added back in the description but only shown via click down instead of mouse-over
- Redesigned Viewing Page - Wider is better!
- Rewrote About OMGS Page
- Removed Traces of Comment System
- Removed Unused Social Buttons
- Added Random Link - Pulls random submission.
- Added Submitter Link - Allows you to pull all submissions by that person
- Added Legal Link - I need to write this.
Website is maybe 50% overhauled! A lot of work still needs to be done to the submissions system, members panel and admin panel. I hope these changes make things "simpler" instead of more complicated. Also need to put in the print buying system.
Sunday, April 29th, 2012
- Added Facebook News Feed to Sidebar
- Reworked Submissions/Uploads - Still Undergoing
- Removed Aww Cute Reddit Button - This wasn't really used.
- Removed Tumblr Button - This wasn't really used.
- Removed Digg Button - This wasn't really used.
- Removed Comments - This wasn't really used. Will probably replace it
- Removed News & Blog - I am too busy to keep it up and using the Facebook wall was easier!
I need to organize myself better. Ideally I want to update daily and at a set time. I was thinking Sunday Squirrel Round-Ups would be every Sunday at 5AM CST.
Sunday, February 26th, 2012
- Added News & Blog Page
- Added Social Buttons to Win Something pages
- Changed design a bit
- Changed the side bar to be wider
- Changed the main images to be smaller
- Changed the Facebook buttons in the view pages to the XFBML version
- Changed a ton of things in the admin panel
- Changed the "Winning" to Win Something and the way it works
- Moved the logo from floating over things to be in the side bar
- Moved the majority of links/embed codes to view page for each submission
- Removed Facebook Video embed - No one was using it and it was creating a headache
- Removed all the social links and description from the front page to make things load faster and make the pictures/videos more prominent
Thursday, January 19th, 2012
- Added Digg Button
- Added r/Squirrels Reddit button
- Added Pintrest Button
- Added Tumblr Button
- Re-designed Button Placement
- Removed "shield" so photos/video can be scrapped easier
- Switched YouTube Embed to Apple friendly!
- Fixed a bug where pages left were miscalulated! Thank you ceil();!
- Put a temporary fix for detecting onkeydown in FF9 which is broke but will be fixed in FF10.
As much as I hate Apple I'll probably need to seriously look at making things Apple happy. Sigh.
Wednesday, December 28th, 2011
- Added Stumble Upon button back
- Added Reddit button
- Added Large Size embed code
- Added "Winning" GFX
- Placed embed codes in pop-up box
- Re-designed Bottom Bar
- Re-designed Maintenance Page
Thanks to the people who helped fix the Facebook like confirmation fiasco! Hopefully I can increase activity on the website with my latest efforts!
Thursday, December 15th, 2011
- MAJOR over-haul of design to be more blog-like
- Made it so each approved submissions DOES NOT automatically get tweeted
- Moved facebook/twitter buttons back underneath each submission
- Moved social links back from the top to the new side bar
- Added new side bar that displays latest Flickr submissions, the latest Sunday Squirrel Round-Up top pick and ad space, will probably display more when I think it up.
- Added the "Winning" page for giveaways/contests/ads etc.
- Added the BBCode/HTML code boxes back in
- Added a new "medium" size to fit the smaller front roll while the view pages maintain the large 900px wide image
- Added a traditional registration page instead of the drop down lightbox crap
- Changed the front roll significantly and added user avatars to each submission info
- Changed the top navigation and removed the filter drop down
- Changed the way submissions worked
- Changed the submissions system's code to make it work better
Changed the URL for the viewing pages
(which broke Facebook likes because I forgot to change the opengraph tags when testing them out, which means people have to CONFIRM their likes for now until Facebook deems I'm not some "Like Jacker" WTF, ugh)
- Changed the way photos can be embedded externally
- Removed Stumble Upon badge for each submission
- Removed a lot of dumb code
- Removed mobile website, for now. Will probably overhaul when I find time.
- Removed info page and moved most of the stuff in there to the side bar
- Updated About OMGS page
- Updated the Admin page to actually be functional
I need to learn how to twitter more efficiently! Also hopefully Facebook figures out I'm not "ClickJacking", of course it wouldn't have happened if I had not changed the URLs for the view pages but I needed to make them more friendly!
Friday, November 4th, 2011
- Made this page
- Made it so each approved submissions automatically get tweeted
- Made a website down/construction landing page so I can do work without people seeing a broken website
- Moved social links to the top navigation from the right hand side of the front roll
- Changed the filter links to a filter drop down to accommodate the social links in the top navigation
- Changed the way submissions worked instead of being in a drop down lightbox, it is now a page
- Changed the submissions system to allow people to submit anonymously which will then be attributed to "Random Stranger"
Changed the Sunday Squirrel Submission/Top Picks to
Top Flickr SubmissionsSunday Squirrel Round-Up
- Added the Facebook & Twitter buttons to the right hand side of each submission on the front roll
- Added Stumble Upon badge for each submission
- Added a favicon for the website
- Moved the discuss/source/edit buttons to the right hand side menu
Stopped being lazyFixed the code where users were forced to only upload .jpgs. Now all image types may be uploaded including transparent pngs.
Stopped being lazyFixed the code where video submissions did not have Facebook like buttons
Stopped being lazyFixed the CSS of the top navigation which made the mini-info bar push down the page elements and was too small to display info.
Log Into OMGS
Connect With OMGS
Sunday Squirrel Round-Up
The Sunday Squirrel Round-Up is where I choose the best photos submitted to our official Flickr group. You don't win anything except internet praise, minor e-fame and maybe groupies. Thanks for all submissions!
Check out the rest of my picks here